Equestrian Sculpture of Marcus Aurelius
Speakers: Dr. Beth Harris, Dr. Steven Zucker
The original location of the sculpture is unknown. Beginning in the 8th century, it was housed in the Lateran Palace, until it was placed in the center of the Piazza del Campidoglio in 1538 by Michelangelo. The original is now indoors for purposes of conservation. Marcus Aurelius ruled ca. 161-180 C.E.
Where and When